Southwark Plan 2022
Adopting the Plan
Inspector’s Report on the New Southwark Plan
The Inspectors who were examining the New Southwark Plan published their Inspector’s Report on 17 November 2021. They also published their recommended Main Modifications to the Plan. This meant the Examination in Public of the New Southwark Plan had ended.
The Inspector’s Report contains their assessment of the New Southwark Plan in terms of Section 20(5) of the Planning & Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (as amended) (external website).
In their report, the Inspectors explain:
- if they think the Plan’s preparation has complied with the duty to co-operate
- if they think the Plan is compliant with the legal requirements
- if they think the Plan is sound as set out in the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) 2021 (paragraph 35)
You can download the Inspector's Report and the Main Modification documents from the list below:
- New Southwark Plan Inspector’s Report (pdf, 589kb)
- New Southwark Plan Main Modifications (pdf, 2.3mb)
- Main Modifications – Appendix 1 – Key Diagram (pdf, 52.5mb)
- Main Modifications – Appendix 2 – MM29 residential design Aylesbury space standards (pdf, 222kb)
- Main Modifications – Appendix 3 – Policy P47 Figure 7 map school exclusion zones (pdf, 394kb)
- Main Modifications – Appendix 4 – Cycle and car parking tables 10-12 (pdf, 275kb)
- Main Modifications – Appendix 5 –Annex 2 - housing trajectory (pdf, 427kb)
- Main Modifications – Appendix 6 – Annex 4 – NSP monitoring framework (pdf, 364kb)
- Main Modifications – Appendix 7 – Annex 5 – AAP Policies and Sites replaced by NSP (pdf, 264kb)
- Main Modifications – Appendix 8 – Area Vision maps (pdf, 6.2mb)
What did the Inspector's Report recommend?
The report concluded that the Duty to Cooperate had been met. The report says that with the recommended main modifications, the New Southwark Plan meets the requirements in Section 20(5)(a) of the 2004 Act and is sound.
The report confirmed that the Plan could be adopted after the Main Modifications were made to the Plan. These changes were made, and the Council Assembly agreed to adopt the Plan on 23 February 2022. The adopted plan is called the ‘Southwark Plan 2022’ and its policies carry full weight in development decisions.
Main Modifications Consultation
We finished consulting on the Main Modifications on 24 September 2021. The representations were considered by the council and the Inspectors to inform the Southwark Plan 2022 for adoption. You can download the Consultation Report and the consultation responses below:
- NSP Main Modifications Consultation Responses - Consultation Hub (xlsx, 30kb)
- NSP Main Modifications Consultation Responses - Letters (pdf, 38.2mb)
- Consultation Report on the Main Modifications on the New Southwark Plan (December 2021) (pdf, 1.4mb)
Page last updated: 08 April 2022