Economy, employment and business
Area-specific employment evidence base documents
You can find our area-specific studies and background papers about the local economy, employment, business and retail below.
Documents for adopted Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) and Area Action Plans (AAPs)
The following background papers provide a rationale for our adopted and emerging planning polices and guidance for the local economy, employment and business:
- Blackfriars Road SPD Business and retail background paper (2014) (pdf, 4.7mb)
- Canada Water AAP Business and retail background paper (2014) (pdf, 579kb)
- Elephant and Castle SPD Retail background paper (2011) (pdf, 341kb)
- Elephant and Castle SPD Employment background paper (2011) (pdf, 313kb)
- Harmsworth Quay Non-residential uses study (2012) (pdf, 2.4mb)
Old Kent Road
The Old Kent Road Employment Study was prepared with the Greater London Authority to establish who works in the Old Kent Road Opportunity Area, what sectors of industry they operate in and what their future aspirations are.
Part two of our Borough-wide Employment Land Review (ELR) focuses specifically on the Old Kent Road Opportunity Area. You can find Part 1 of the ELR on our borough-wide section of our employment evidence base webpage.
- Employment Land Review 2016 part 2 of 2 - Old Kent Road (pdf, 2.7mb)
- Employment Land Review 2016 Appendix B – Old Kent Road Urban Design Guidance (pdf, 14.3mb)
London Southbank University High Street Surveys
In 2015, London Southbank University (LSBU) was commissioned to carry out studies of our high streets. The studies have a borough-wide overview and summary, which can be found on our borough-wide employment evidence base page.
The studies on each individual high street can be found below:
- Borough High Street (pdf, 721kb)
- Camberwell (Denmark Hill) (pdf, 718kb)
- Dulwich (Lordship Lane) (pdf, 738kb)
- Herne Hill (pdf, 719kb)
- Nunhead (Nunhead Lane) (pdf, 709kb)
- Peckham (Rye Lane) (pdf, 789kb)
- Bermondsey (Southwark Park Road) (pdf, 724kb)
- Walworth Road (pdf, 691kb)
Page last updated: 07 June 2019