Neighbourhood planning in Herne Hill
The Herne Hill Forum submitted an application seeking designation as a neighbourhood forum and for a neighbourhood area for the purposes of neighbourhood planning as defined by the Localism Act 2011 (as amended). The applied for area and forum membership is within both the London Borough of Southwark and the London Borough of Lambeth.
Update: Neighbourhood Area Designation
Southwark Council made the decision to designate the applied-for neighbourhood area (as it applies to the London Borough of Southwark) on 5 December 2017. You can see more information about the decision here.
London Borough of Lambeth made a decision on an amended Herne Hill Neighbourhood Area at their cabinet meeting on Monday 11 December 2017.
You can view and download a map of the designated Herne Hill Neighbourhood Area (pdf, 831kb).
Neighbourhood Forum application
As a result of the amended (smaller) neighbourhood area being designated for the neighbourhood area as it relates to the LB Lambeth, the neighbourhood forum application was required to be refused by LB Lambeth. This reason for this was because parts of the area originally included in the applied-for area, which were subsequently excluded following the smaller and amended neighbourhood area designation, contained one or more of the required 21 forum members required to be referenced as either living or working in the neighbourhood area.
You can read more about the decision taken on the forum application by Lambeth Council.
Following the amended area designation, these members no longer qualify as meeting the requirements of the regulations as one of the 21 members referenced in the neighbourhood forum application. Therefore, following LB Lambeth’s decision on the amended neighbourhood area, neither Southwark nor Lambeth council’s were able to make a decision other than refusal of the neighbourhood forum application. LB Lambeth refused the neighbourhood forum application on their 11 December 2017 cabinet meeting on this basis. Southwark Council has decided not to make a decision on the neighbourhood forum application. Both Southwark and Lambeth Council’s encourage the Herne Hill Forum to submit a revised neighbourhood forum application soon.
You can view and download the previous application documents below:
- Herne Hill Neighbourhood Forum and Area application form and appendices (pdf, 2.6mb)
- Map of the applied for area with borough boundary (pdf, 1mb)
Application appendices comprising:
- Appendix 1 – Map of area boundary applied for
- Appendix 2 – Constitution of the Herne Hill Forum
- Appendix 3 – Herne Hill Neighbourhood Plan Technical Evidence supporting boundary
- Appendix 4 – Herne Hill Neighbourhood census profile and the HHF committee profile
- Appendix 4.1 – Herne Hill Forum contact details (redacted version)
- Appendix 4.2 – Email correspondence with elected members across the 3 wards in the Area to verify Forum membership intentions with respect to Neighbourhood Planning
- copy of email addressing remaining questions required in LB Southwark’s neighbourhood forum and area application forums (redacted version)
Please note the Herne Hill Forum is a community group which was established prior to the introduction of neighbourhood planning through the Localism Act in 2011. The forum does not yet have formal “Neighbourhood Forum” status designated by the local planning authorities for the purposes of neighbourhood planning as defined in the Localism Act.
Page last updated: 11 April 2019