Area action plans
Old Kent Road AAP
We're delighted to invite you to the opening of the ‘Museum of Us’ exhibition to launch the new community space at 231 Old Kent Road. The Museum of Us is a free exhibition with series of events celebrating the Old Kent Road’s rich and diverse history & population, past and present.
Hosted at 231 Old Kent Road, to launch this new community space.
You can find more information here.
Information on the Old Kent Road Forums can be found here.
Together with the Greater London Authority, we're preparing a new plan for the Old Kent Road and surrounding area. This follows the Mayor of London formally designating the Old Kent Road Opportunity Area in the London Plan.
Old Kent Road Planning and Regeneration update
An update report was prepared for consideration by Southwark’s Cabinet on 16 July 2019. The report includes a number of updates and two recommendations including piloting a Community Review Panel in the Old Kent Road and a further review of the Old Kent Road AAP by the Design Review Panel. The Cabinet Report and Consultation Report can be downloaded below:
- Old Kent Road Update Infographic (pdf, 363kb)
- Old Kent Road Further Preferred Option Consultation Report July 2019 (pdf, 4.6mb)
The further preferred option version of the Old Kent Road AAP was prepared following our consultation on the first draft last summer. The consultation on this stage of consultation has now concluded. To view a copy of our consultation summary click here (pdf, 9mb).
Please see below for the Plan and the supporting documents.
Further draft of the Old Kent Road AAP consultation
The further draft has been prepared in response to previous consultations. This consultation sets out a second draft (preferred option) of the AAP to ensure that all residents and visitors have the opportunity to consult on all policies before the formal ‘proposed submission version’ stage.
- Old Kent Road AAP/OAPF (Further preferred option version 2017) (pdf, 141.3mb)
- Proposed changes to the adopted policies map (pdf, 17.3mb)
- Consultation plan (pdf, 194kb)
- Consultation report (pdf, 3.6mb)
- Integrated impact assessment (pdf, 2.4mb)
- Habitats regulations assessment (pdf, 369kb)
- Cabinet report (pdf, 162kb)
- Leaflet (pdf, 1mb)
How to comment
Click here for more information on the consultation including how to comment on the plan.
Agreement with the GLA on the Phased Release of Strategic Industrial Land
Southwark Council, and the GLA, have, by exchange of letter have confirmed an agreed approach to the phased release of Strategic Industrial Land for mixed use development that would include a range of commercial uses including distribution and light industrial uses in the Old Kent Road Opportunity Area. These letters, and associated plans are available to view below.
The draft Old Kent Road AAP, the New Southwark Plan and the draft New London Plan would still need to be subject to an Examination In Public (EiP) and approval of the Secretary of State before they become the adopted development plan position. It should also be noted that there have been a number of objections to the proposed release of industrial land from third parties which would need to be considered at the EiP.
- Letter from Southwark to GLA 3 September 2018 (pdf, 232kb)
- Adopted SIL map 1 (pdf, 1.2mb)
- Adopted SIL map 1 - aerial (pdf, 663kb)
- Proposed SIL map 2 (pdf, 1.2mb)
- Proposed SIL map 2 - aerial (pdf, 666kb)
- Letter from GLA to Southwark 17 September 2018 (pdf, 57kb)
- Phasing plan (pdf, 2.2mb)
General information about the Old Kent Road Area Action Plan
The plan will guide and manage new development and growth in the area over the next 20 years.
The plan provides a vision and objectives as well as policies on:
- a strategy for growth in business and industry including doubling the number of jobs
- locations for 20,000 new homes, including new council homes
- a revitalised high street with shopping and town centre facilities
- the design and heights of buildings and spaces
- improvements for pedestrians and cyclists, including new links and making existing routes safer
- public transport improvements, including an extension to the Bakerloo Line and new underground stations
- the infrastructure needed to support growth such as schools, open space and public realm, health and other community facilities
The Old Kent Road Area Action Plan will also be an Opportunity Area Planning Framework (OAPF), meaning it will be used by the Mayor of London to make planning decisions.
Please see below for more information on previous consultation stages.
We've published a series of studies and evidence base documents to support our approach to the regeneration of the Old Kent Road area in the plan. These include:
- Design, heritage and character
- Design, heritage and character
- Economy, employment and business
- Economy, employment and business
- Environment and sustainability
- Tall buildings study (forthcoming)
- English Heritage Old Kent Road survey 2009
360 aerial photography
Interactive 360 degree aerial drone photography of the area is available to view using the following links:
Consultation and next steps
We're now consulting on a further draft of the Old Kent Road AAP until 21 March 2017. Following the close of this consultation we will carefully consider all the feedback we receive. We'll then make any required amendment to the plan and publish and consult on the proposed submission version. The draft plan will then be submitted to the Secretary of state for a public examination.
Previous rounds of consultation
New and amended preferred option policies consultation
Following previous rounds of consultation (see below), between June and September 2017 the council consulted on a set of new and amended policies for the preferred option stage of the Old Kent Road Area Action. This ‘interim’ consultation set
- new and amended planning policies including a new draft CAZ and town centre boundary, a new social regeneration policy, new and amended business and employment policies and amended environmental policies
- new and amended site allocations
See the following documents for the documents which were consulted on:
- Old Kent Road Area Action Plan: New and amended policies preferred option (pdf, 9.9mb)
- Proposed changes to the adopted policies map (pdf, 1.3mb)
You can view and download the supporting documents below:
- Cabinet report (pdf, 197kb)
- Integrated impact assessment, including equalities impact assessment and health impact assessment (pdf, 1.2mb)
- Consultation plan (pdf, 159kb)
- Consultation report on the Old Kent Road AAP consultation so far (pdf, 327kb)
- Habitats regulations assessment (pdf, 285kb)
June 2016 preferred option draft
The council consulted on the first draft of the plan between June and November 2016. Thank you to everyone who submitted comments. We're carefully considering all responses received and will use the feedback to inform the next draft of the plan.
- Draft Old Kent Road AAP/OAPF (June 2016 preferred option) part 1 (pdf, 12.4mb)
- Draft Old Kent Road AAP/OAPF (June 2016 preferred option) part 2 (pdf, 12.7mb)
We've prepared a summary of the key issues raised though the consultation (pdf, 414kb) undertaken between June and November 2016. We'll be preparing a more thorough consultation report for publication alongside the next draft of the AAP later in 2017.
Supporting documents to the Old Kent Road AAP June 2016 preferred option
You can read supporting documents for the Old Kent Road AAP / OAPF June 2016 preferred option below:
- Old Kent Road AAP Proposed changes to proposals map part 1 (pdf, 8.9mb)
- Old Kent Road AAP Proposed changes to proposals map part 2 (pdf, 14.4mb)
- Old Kent Road AAP Integrated impact assessment (pdf, 2.3mb)
- Old Kent Road AAP Habitats regulations assessment (pdf, 199kb)
- Old Kent Road AAP Cabinet report (pdf, 142kb)
- Old Kent Road AAP Consultation plan (pdf, 535kb)
- Old Kent Road AAP Integrated impact assessment scoping report (pdf, 3.1mb)
Page last updated: 29 July 2019