Planning FAQs

Help and guidance

Where can I find professional help for planning services?

There are many professional services that can assist you with the planning applications and building regulations approval process.  The Planning Portal has a guide to find a recommendation trade professional.

Be wary of builders approaching you as a result of your application. We strongly recommend that you read the Citizens Advice guidance on getting building works done before you begin works.

How can I find out who owns a certain piece of land?

You can purchase copies of registry details and title plans from HM Land Registry. We cannot provide copies of these documents to you.

I am buying a house, how do I find out what the planning history is?

You can research the planning history of your property yourself by looking at the Government's register of planning decisions or at our Planning Register. You can also hire a planning consultant to do this for you.

What do I do if I want to look at a planning file?

All planning documents are stored on our Planning Register. If you are not able to find the documents that you need, you can contact us by email. 

How do I talk to someone in the planning department?

The best way to speak to someone in the planning department is to contact us by email. Someone will contact you either by email or phone within 5 working days. To discuss a specific application, you should contact the case officer by email in the first instance. View more information about how to contact the planning department. 

I am concerned that someone is building or demolishing without planning permission, how do I notify the council?

If you think that there has been a breach in planning, complete the online planning complaint form as soon as possible to report it to the planning enforcement team.

Not found the answer you were looking for? Please email us with your question and we'll get back to you as soon as possible

Page last updated: 21 November 2023


Privacy settings