Find out if you need planning permission

Planning permission for listed buildings and advertisements

Works to a listed building

Listed building consent is required for:

  • demolishing a listed building
  • altering or extending a listed building
  • internal works and repairs that affect the character or significance of a listed building

There is no fee to apply for listed building consent. Our design and conservation team can provide advice about listed building works. You can also find information about listed building consent (external website) on the Planning Portal.

These works will also usually require planning permission, which you must apply for separately.

Work within a conservation area

You need planning permission to demolish any part of a building within a conservation area. Find out more about conservation areas.

Work on a protected tree or trees within a conservation area

Trees can be protected by:

  • a Tree Preservation Order
  • the trees are located in a designated conservation area

You will need permission before starting works on either type of tree. You can read the Planning Portal's advice on trees and hedges (external website) and our council guidance on trees.

Displaying adverts

Some types of adverts benefit from something called 'deemed consent' and can be put up without approval from us. The government has published useful advice in their outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers. It is a criminal offence to display an advert that requires our consent without first getting that consent.

Page last updated: 19 February 2024


Privacy settings