Liberty of the Mint
The Liberty of the Mint Conservation Area is situated, broadly, to the west and south of Borough Tube Station. The conservation area contains much of the site of Brandon House/Suffolk Place, the former palace of the Dukes of Suffolk. Much of the area of this property has been excavated on the site which stands at the north-west junction of Borough High Street and Marshalsea Road. The Liberty of the Mint Conservation Area contains a varied section of Southwark townscape broadly dating from the later 19th century. This consists of a mix of industrial, residential, educational, transport and historic, mixed-use buildings fronting Borough High Street. The area has a particular significance due to the rebuilding of much of the area with the construction of Marshalsea Road dating from 1888. The southern parts of the conservation area retain much of the Victorian character of closely packed former industrial and residential buildings defining a tight, well-defined townscape.
You can view our interactive map of Liberty of the Mint Conservation Area.
Liberty of the Mint conservation area - designated 1 December 2015.
Liberty of the Mint Conservation Area Appraisal (PDF, 3.6mb)
Page last updated: 24 August 2022