Become an intern with us
Find out about paid internships available within Southwark Council for young people aged 16 to 24 years old.
Being an intern with us is a great way to start your career. You'll join one of London’s top employers and one of the most forward-thinking councils in the country. Internships with us last from 6 to 12 weeks.
Who can apply
Our internships are open to residents aged 16 to 24. We're especially keen to give opportunities to those in our community who face barriers to employment and to achieving their potential.
If you don’t meet the criteria but are facing difficulty in finding work, we'd still like to hear from you. You'll be required to provide some more information in your application on the disadvantages you are facing in finding work or progressing in your career. We also want to know how you see this opportunity helping you overcome that disadvantage.
The groups we've identified as meeting these criteria include young people:
- who get or have been eligible for free school meals
- who are care experienced / have been looked after by the local authority
- who will represent the first generation in their families to attend a UK university and/or are eligible to do so
- with disabilities and Special Educational Needs (SEN)
Why should you apply
- be paid at London Living Wage
- gain real career experience
- great first step into your chosen career path
- be challenged and build your confidence
- gain new transferable skills
- get insight into different careers and sectors all in one organisation
- get a line manager or buddy who will also be your mentor
- gain experience to enhance your CV and personal statement
- It may be possible to fit around other commitments like studies
- experience a competitive recruitment process
- create a network of professional contacts for the future
How to apply
We are looking for six interns to join us in March 2021. We have the following placements available:
- three in transformation within children's services - data, project support and family support
- one in organisational development
- two in IT and digital
If you are interested in more than one of the internships, you can let us know in your application. You only need to complete one application form. You can sign up for alerts about internships.
Page last updated: 13 January 2021