Employ an apprentice
What is an apprentice?
Apprentices can be new or current employees aged 16 or over. Apprentices combine working with studying to gain skills and knowledge in a specific job.
Your apprentice must:
- work with experienced staff
- learn job-specific skills
- study during their working week (eg at a college or training organisation)
- receive a minimum of 20% off the job training (not necessarily away from the workplace)
- be employed for at least 12 months
- be paid at least the minimum wage
Fair pay is important for the success of any role, so we encourage all employers to consider the London Living wage to ensure the best experience for the apprentice and the business.
Employers can access government funding to cover much of the cost of training and assessing an apprentice.
Page last updated: 12 August 2019