Become an apprentice
Kick-start your career
There are lots of great opportunities to become an apprentice in Southwark. Apprenticeships are a great way to kick-start your career and offer the opportunity to work in a wide range of fields. They're a great way to learn while you earn, gaining practical work experience while learning new skills and getting a qualification.
What's an apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships combine practical training in a job with study. Most apprenticeships last for at least a year and you will earn a wage as an apprentice as well as getting a qualification. As an apprentice you can expect to:
- have a minimum 12 month contract
- work alongside experienced staff
- gain job-specific skills
- receive good quality training and mentoring
- earn a wage and get holiday pay
- get time for study related to your role (usually one day a week)
Southwark Council is committed to creating high quality apprenticeships and we have had tremendous success helping apprentices secure employment. Between 2014 and 2018 we created 2,000 new apprenticeships and we’re committed to creating 2,500 more by April 2022.
You can find more information on becoming an apprentice, including:
- Become an apprentice with Southwark Council
- Become an apprentice with a Southwark business
- Get help and support to become an apprentice
- Apprenticeship stories
Page last updated: 18 April 2019