Library of the month
June 2015 sees Camberwell Library featured as our Library of the Month. To celebrate there will be lots of extra events in addition to all of Camberwell's regular events for adults and children.
For the whole of June there will be also be a display: Oh Alice, How Wonderful you are - a display on Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. This year, 2015 celebrates the 150th anniversary of a book which has been read widely and translated into numerous languages. Alice continues to enthral, inspire and excite; whether dreamer or action hero, she holds her own as a bookshelf staple. The display has been created by staff member Lilian Quamina-Reddie
All of Camberwell's extra events are free but some may require advance booking. Here are some of June's highlights:
- Summer shorts: short story fun, Saturday 6 June 2015, 2pm to 3pm. Read a short story together then write your own! There will also be colouring sheets, wordsearches and a quiz! For children ages 7 to 12 - no advance booking required
- Storycircle, Monday 8 June 2015, 4pm to 5pm. Reading aloud stories and poems. For families - no advance booking required
- Making three dimensional structures: organised by Sandra Joseph, Thursday 11 June, 2pm to 3.30pm. For all ages - no advance booking required
- Fun with Wii Event, Thursday 11 June 2015, 3.45pm to 5pm. Play Wii Sports, Olympics and Mario Sonic Games. For children aged 7 and over - no advance booking required
- Badge Making, Saturday 13 June 2015, 2pm to 4pm. Come along and have fun with brilliant badges. All materials provided. For children aged 5 to 12 - no advance booking required
- Sew Craft, Monday 15 June 2015, 2pm to 4pm. Celebrate Adult Learner's Week by making pretty cupcake pincushions and fragrant flower lavender bags, using simple sewing and decorating techniques. All materials provided. For adults - no advance booking required
- Beast Quest - for fans of the Adam Blade series of books, Thursday 18 June 2015, 4pm to 5pm. Readings from the books, activities, shield making and mask making. For children aged 7 and over - no advance booking required
- Poetry Workshop, Friday 19 June 2015, 2pm to 3pm. Do you have a poem that needs workshopping? Does your writing need a kick start? Come along to this informal workshop, with group discussions, poetry readings and writing exercises. All levels welcome. For adults - no advance booking required
- Save the bag, save the planet, Friday 19 June 2015, 6pm to 7pm. Practical ways to save money and reduce waste in this talk by John Beasley. For adults - no advance booking required
- Have fun with felt. Monday 22 June 2015, 2pm to 3pm. Create crazy animals! Materials provided, bring your own imagination. For adults - no advance booking required
- Calling All Superheroes: A talk by Richard Reddie author and historian, Thursday 25 June 2015, 7pm to 8pm. If you take a close look at the box office in the USA or UK it’s hard not to notice the popularity of so-called superhero movies. Whether they are from Marvel or DC, the cinema is awash with characters imbued with super strength or gadgets which enable them to fight against injustice and crime. This talk will cover this growing phenomenon, linking superheroes with the time-honoured action figures that we all know and cherish, and explore the history and continuing socio-cultural impact that they have on society. This interactive talk is for the expert and uninitiated alike. Please bring along your action figure of choice, graphic novels and comics to share your memories! For adults, teens, and all graphic novel lovers - no advance booking required
- CV Workshop, Friday 26 June 2015, 2pm to 2.45pm and 2.45pm to 3.30pm. Need a new CV? Need help sprucing up your old one? Then come down to this informal workshop for help in getting your CV into shape. Limited places, booking essential. To book email Kate Taylor or Richard Bryan or ring 020 7525 6329.
- Badge Mania, Monday 29 June 2015, 3.30pm to 5pm. Come along and enjoy your time badge making with the staff. For adults - no advance booking required
Tel: 020 7525 6329
Great events every month
Camberwell Library, has a wide programme of regular free events for children and adults taking place every month. Please visit the Camberwell Library page to find out about their book group, baby and toddler sessions, ICT tasters and lots more.
All the latest news on events and activities
For all the latest information about our author talks and children's events please follow @SouthwarkLibs on Twitter.
All our events are free but they can get booked up. Make sure you don't miss out by joining our events emailing list. We'll let you know well in advance when we've got some great authors coming to give talks. Sign up to the events list by simply emailing email@example.com with the subject header "Mailing list".