Library of the month
John Harvard Library
September 2015 sees John Harvard Library featured as our library of the month. To celebrate there will be lots of extra events in addition to all of John Harvard's regular events for adults and children.
The library offers a wide range of services to the John Harvard community. As well as adult and children's books and DVDs the library offers free Internet access and runs many free training sessions to help people get to grips with IT, whether it is help with emails, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Homesearch, Citizienship and Driving theory tests.
Special events for September 2015 include:
- John Harvard Book Awards. We’re proud to announce the first annual John Harvard Library book awards. We’ll be selecting a hand picked shortlist of 4 books released in the past 12 months and we want you to pick your favourite. They’ll be a selection for you to borrow at the library so you can be part of choosing the winner. Check in at John Harvard for more details.
- Tea & Tablets, Tuesday 15 September 2015, 4pm to 5pm, Enter the exciting world of tablets and new technology whilst enjoying a cup of tea at this free event aimed at computer beginners. Learn how to browse the internet, send and receive e-mails, take and upload photos and get the most out of you tablet at this relaxed and fun session.
- E-Books Training Friday 18 September 2015, 2pm to 3pm and 6pm to 7pm, Southwark libraries have recently launched our very own e-book service. If you want to learn how to get the most out of this brand new technology or simply want to know more about how to download and read e-books then this is the session for you.
- Adults and Kids Craft Session Monday 21 September 2015, 10.30am to 12noon, Why should kids have all the fun? Join us for this craft session aimed at adults and discover a whole new world of craft ideas and fun. We’ll supply the materials so all you need to do is provide the fun.
- Open Mic Night, Friday 25 September 2015, 7.30pm to 9pm, Are you a budding poet? An unknown singing sensation? Then come down to our free to enter open mic night. Whether you’re a poet, musician or writer, all are welcome at this informal and fun evening. Refreshments will be provided.
Let’s Write a Children’s Book, Friday 18 September 2015, 4.30pm to 5pm. Help us write and illustrate John Harvard’s very own children’s book which we’ll print and display in the library. We’ll supply the pens and paper you provide the imagination and ideas. For age 3 and over.Wii Event, Friday 25 September 2015, 4.30pm to 5pm. Bored after school? Then join us for computer game fun and excitement. Challenge your friends or even the library staff at a range of action packed video games. It’s going to be a lot of fun and it’s all free. For age 6 and over.
- Chess Club, Monday 28 September 2015, 4.30pm to 5pm. Want to learn chess? Want to challenge other players to a chess battle? Then Chess club is for you. Whether you’re a beginner or a budding grand master come and enjoy John Harvard’s very own brand new chess club. For age 6 and over.
Coding For Kids Tuesday 29 September 2015, 4.30pm to 5pm. Ever wanted to programme your own computer games or animations. Learn all the coding basics at this session aimed at kids 6 years and over.
Great events every month
John Harvard Library, has a wide programme of regular free events for children and adults taking place every month. Please visit the John Harvard Library page to find out about their book group, baby and toddler sessions, ICT tasters and lots more.
All the latest news on events and activities
For all the latest information about our author talks and children's events please follow @SouthwarkLibs on Twitter.
All our events are free but they can get booked up. Make sure you don't miss out by joining our events emailing list. We'll let you know well in advance when we've got some great authors coming to give talks. Sign up to the events list by simply emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header "Mailing list".