Improvements to our website

We have made changes to our website to improve the way it looks and to give residents a better experience. You can find out more about this update here. 


Our handyperson team can help with small repairs or adaptions around the home.

To access this service you must be either aged 60 or over, or have a disability (no age limit). You must also live in Southwark. We can help if you’re a home owner, council tenant, renting privately, or a housing association tenant.

The amount you pay depends on your personal circumstances.

Contact us by phoning 020 7525 1863 during office hours, or email the handyperson team

Types of jobs a handyperson can help with

Our handypersons can help with small repairs or adaptations. We can:

  • move furniture (within the property or outside of property)
  • fix curtain rails, including hanging or taking down curtains
  • tape down carpets and electrical leads
  • change light bulbs and smoke alarm batteries, and install smoke alarms
  • put up shelves
  • re-glaze small windows
  • change smoke alarm batteries
  • fit internal doors
  • fit locks and security chains
  • minor decorating, carpentry and plumbing
  • small gardening jobs
  • minor fencing repairs or installations
  • build flat pack furniture
  • install grab/hand rails

If you need a repair that's not listed above, contact us and we'll let you know if we can help.

We can supply materials or can use materials that you have purchased.

Types of jobs that a handyperson can't help with:

  • gas servicing
  • major building work
  • electrical work
  • furniture removals
  • home cleaning such as window cleaning

If you're a council tenant or housing association tenant

If the repair you're requesting is part of your tenancy agreement, you should contact your respective repairs team.

How much we charge

If you’re receiving housing benefits, income support, council tax benefits, pension credit, disability living allowance or attendance allowance, we charge £22 per hour, plus material costs.

If you’re not receiving benefits, we charge £44 for the first hour, and each additional hour is £33, plus materials costs.

Other help you can get

  • Housing adaptations works closely with occupational therapists who assess council tenant needs and recommend necessary adaptations to your home
  • Home Improvement Agency (HIA) offers a service to older and disabled homeowners and private tenants who want to repair or adapt their homes

Page last updated: 03 April 2023


Privacy settings