Heat pump installations
In 2019 we undertook a feasibility study into the potential for installing heat pumps at some of our communally heated housing estates to work alongside the boilers. For three estates - Consort, Newington and Wyndham - the feasibility study found the installations to be technically and economically viable. A tender was run to fund an installer and a contract was awarded in June 2020.
The intention is to use the water from the London aquifer and use heat pump technology to take the naturally heated water to the temperatures required for the heat network requirements.
This project is expected to save 1,774 tonnes of CO2e per annum, the equivalent of taking over 1,600 cars off the road. The project is also set to reduce energy usage by over 34 per cent compared to the existing networks while also creating 3.4MW of renewable energy.
- heat pumps project summary - November 2019 (PDF, 194kb)
- heat pumps FAQs (PDF, 78kb)
- heat pumps project Wyndham Estate map (PDF, 112kb)
- heat pumps project Consort Estate map (PDF, 168kb)
- heat pumps project Newington Estate map (PDF, 168kb)
Page last updated: 05 December 2023