Property licensing

Our licensing schemes ensure that rented homes in Southwark meet the correct standards and enable us to provide the necessary support and information to landlords and tenants.

There are two types of privately rented properties in the borough which require a licence:

  1. Houses or flats shared between a group of unrelated people or let as individual rooms, also known as Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs); some properties converted to flats are also HMO’s and will need a licence
  2. Properties let to a single family, couple or individual (including studio flats) when they're located in one of the selective licensing areas; you can use our map to check if your property is in a selective licensing area

Page last updated: 29 August 2018