Global IT issues affecting online systems

We are currently impacted by the global IT issues. As a result, a number of our online systems are affected. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Private rented property licensing

Does my property need to be licensed?

There are three types of property licensing schemes that cover different types of privately rented properties. Find more information on the three types below.

Mandatory licensing

Mandatory licensing is required for all Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) that are occupied by five or more persons forming at least two separate households.

Additional licensing

Additional licensing includes HMOs not covered by mandatory licensing as detailed above. For example, shared houses and smaller bedsit type accommodation occupied by three or more people in two or more households. It also includes the common parts of properties converted into flats that do not comply with 1991 (or later) Building Regulations and flats in multiple occupation in a purpose-built block of flats that houses three or more flats.

Selective licensing

Selective licensing applies to all privately rented properties not covered by the mandatory or additional licensing schemes outlined above. This licence is required in the following wards only: Newington, Champion Hill, Faraday, St Giles and Goose Green.

From 1 November 2023, this licence will also be required in the following wards: North Walworth, Nunhead & Queens Road, Old Kent Road, Peckham, Camberwell Green, Chaucer, Dulwich Hill, Dulwich Wood, London Bridge & West Bermondsey, Peckham Rye, Rotherhithe, Rye Lane, South Bermondsey and Surrey Docks.
View the public notice for the designations (PDF, 819kb)

For more information, including an interactive map to check if your property is in the licensing area, view our selective licensing page.

My property needs a licence, what do I do now?

Check which type of licence you must apply for by reading the following information on exemptions, fees and discountslicence holders and licence conditions. You can then refer to how to apply for a licence, which includes a link to our licensing application portal.

How will the council ensure properties are licensed?

If you're a landlord or managing agent of a property that is licensable and you do not apply for a licence, you can be prosecuted or issued a civil penalty notice. If you're prosecuted and found guilty, you can receive an unlimited fine. Civil penalty notices can be up to a maximum of £30,000. Find more information on the council’s enforcement policy (PDF, 494kb).

Convictions and Civil Penalty Notices will be published on the Rogue Landlord and Agent Checker alongside the offending landlords’ details.

Page last updated: 15 July 2024


Privacy settings