COVID-19 rapid testing (if you don’t have symptoms)

If you can’t work from home or you’re a key worker you can now book a rapid COVID-19 test if you don’t have symptoms.


Keep Southwark Safe

Private rented property licensing

Our licensing schemes ensure that rented homes in Southwark meet the correct standards and enable us to provide the necessary support and information to landlords and tenants.

The current Additional and Selective licensing schemes come to an end on the 31 December 2020 and we are no longer accepting any new applications as there will not be any schemes to replace these in the New Year. The council is currently working on proposals for replacement schemes but these will not start for some time.

Any licences that have not expired will be valid for the future schemes when they come in however, until those new schemes start there is no requirement for landlords to apply for licences that have expired. We will notify stakeholders regarding the new schemes as we go through the process of public consultation and implementation of the new schemes next year.

If your property is an HMO, it may still be necessary for you to apply for a licence under the Mandatory licensing scheme.

If you're a landlord or managing agent of a property that is licensable and you do not apply for a license, you can be prosecuted or issued a civil penalty notice. If you're prosecuted and found guilty you can receive an unlimited fine. Civil penalty notices can be up to a maximum of £30,000. Get information regarding prosecution and civil penalties (pdf, 59kb)
Convictions and Civil Penalty Notices will be published on the Rogue Landlord and Agent Checker alongside the offending landlords details. This is a public database introduced by Mayor Sadiq Khan in 2017.

Page last updated: 25 January 2021

Privacy settings