Information for landlords

Our Tenancy Relations Service provides specialist advice on the rights and responsibilities of private tenants, landlords and agents. We aim to prevent homelessness and investigate allegations of harassment and illegal eviction in our private rented sector.

If you're currently experiencing any issues as a landlord with your tenants, contact us and we'll try to respond to you within 5 working days.

You can also find advice to the following:

The tenant's deposit

If you're a private landlord, you can find tenancy deposit protection information on the GOV.UK website.

The Tenant Fees Act 2019 limits the amount that you can hold for deposits and bans most tenant fees. Find out more from the government guidance.

Tax advice from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

If you rent out property, you can find tax information below:

  • get your tax right from the start - a mini tutorial explaining how property income and expenditure are treated, information about capital gains tax and inheritance tax, advice about tax return filing and paying dates, also PAYE and VAT obligations
  • property rental toolkit - advice for landlords and agents to avoid the most commonly made errors in property rental tax returns
  • the let property campaign - bring your tax affairs up to date if you’re letting residential property in the UK or abroad, and get the best possible terms to pay the tax you owe

The Deregulation Act

The Deregulation Act 2015 introduced a number of changes affecting tenancies created on or after 1 October 2015. This includes additional requirements for landlords, changes to when notices can be served to end tenancies and protecting tenants against retaliatory eviction.

You can find out more on this legislation and checking your tenant's right to rent on the GOV.UK website or by contacting our Tenancy Relations Service on 0207 525 4113.

Landlord responsibilities

If you're a landlord with a new tenancy that started on or after 1 October 2015, you're responsible for providing tenants with the how to rent guide.

The government have also published a series of how to guides for the private rented sector (including How to let: a guide for current and prospective private residential landlords).

Using a property agent

All letting agents and property managers must be a member of an approved redress scheme to deal with any complaints. Before you use an agent, make sure they're a member of one of these schemes.

Letting agents who collect rent for you and then pass it on, or who take deposits for you, must belong to an approved client money protection scheme. This protects such monies from failing businesses or other mishandling. Always ask to see the agent's up to date proof of membership certificate. Find out which schemes are approved.

Page last updated: 01 March 2022


Privacy settings