Making alterations to your home

If you are a Southwark council leaseholder or freeholder you will need to seek permission for certain alterations as per the terms of your lease or freehold transfer agreement. This is in addition to any planning and/or building control approval that may be required.

Please seek advice before undertaking alterations. Completing alterations without obtaining consent you may result in you having to reinstate the work and/or be subject to breach of lease proceedings.

Below is a brief description of works that normally require consent from us. For further information or clarification, please see our guidance notes below or contact our Conveyancing Team.

Works requiring consent

  • upgrading fixtures and fittings (bathroom and kitchen renovations)
  • changing boilers or radiators
  • structural alteration and
  • altering the layout of your property (creating additional bedrooms, or creating open plan kitchen and lounge etc)

Submitting an application for alterations will not guarantee that your alterations will be accepted. Should your alterations not be acceptable, your application will be declined and your application fee will be non-refundable.

In assessing your application we will consider (but not limited to) the following:

  • building’s structure
  • fire safety regulations
  • the council’s current and future repair and maintenance obligations and
  • other residents in the building

Request permission to alter your property

If you carry out any alterations without our permission, you'll be asked to remove it or we'll remove it and you'll be recharged

Page last updated: 11 December 2018