Taking care of your mind
The five most effective ways to improve your wellbeing today
To improve our wellbeing, we all need to:
- connect more, by spending time with others
- be physically active by moving more and more often - being active outdoors in green space has even more benefits
- pay more attention to the present moment - being aware of the world around us and what we're feeling
- learn new skills - new things can help us all to feel more confident, and it’s fun to learn
- give something back by helping in our community can be a real boost and incredibly rewarding
Find out more about these five steps to wellbeing from the NHS . The mental health charity Mind also has ideas on five ways to wellbeing.
Good Thinking has worked with Partnership for Young London to develop the five ways to wellbeing specifically for children and young people.
There is no ‘one size fits all’ solution when it comes to health. Good Thinking have also created wellbeing resources specific for faith and belief communities across London, including guides videos and podcasts.
Ways you can connect with others
To connect with others you can:
- connect more by spending time with others - loneliness has a big impact on mental health, so connecting with others is really important
- The Samaritans offer a friendly chat for people struggling to cope, call them for free on 116 123 or chat online with the Samaritans
- Age UK offer an advice line and a friendly chat if you're feeling lonely on 0800 678 1602, lines are open 8am to 7pm, 365 days a year
- Age UK and their charity partner The Silver Line can also help you set up a telephone friendship service
Be physically active by moving more, more often
Being physically active can be as effective as anti-depressants, and being active outdoors is even better.
Being outdoors in green space can improve your mood. Find out where our parks and open spaces are in Southwark.
Physical activity with others has added benefits, by helping you to connect more. You can find a whole range of online support to help you move more.
You can also check out Sport England’s Join the Movement physical activities.
Pay more attention to the present moment.
Pay more attention to the present moment
Mindfulness is a great way to help calm your mind, bring it back into the present moment, and be more aware of your surroundings. Find out more about mindfulness.
Good Thinking London has NHS approved mindfulness and mental health apps and online courses.
You can also access the NHS mindful breathing video.
Going for a walk outside and noticing what you can see and hear can also help. Find your nearest park.
Learn in Southwark
Give something back in Southwark
- Community Southwark advertises volunteering opportunities
- volunteering with Neighbourhood Watch is a great way to connect with others locally
Page last updated: 15 December 2022