Improvements to our website

We have made changes to our website to improve the way it looks and to give residents a better experience. You can find out more about this update here. 

Financial support for residents

Financial support for Southwark residents whose income has been affected by the pandemic including, Universal Credit, Council Tax, rent and loss of income from self-isolation.

COVID-19 support for residents 

We know that COVID-19 has increased financial pressure and concerns for many residents. On 1 October 2021, some of the government support from the start of the pandemic ended: 

  • The furlough schemes for employed and self-employed workers closed 
  • The extra £20 being paid to people claiming Universal Credit stopped.  

This page provides information about some of the financial support that's still available. It will be regularly updated as more support is confirmed. 

Universal Credit payment scheme to help with living costs 

If you’re:

  • unemployed; or
  • had a sudden loss or interruption of income 

due to COVID-19, you may be able to claim benefits to support you and your family. For most working-age people, the benefit you need to claim is Universal Credit.

If you're already claiming Universal Credit report changes in your circumstances now by signing into your Universal Credit account.

Citizens Advice Southwark can help you to claim Universal Credit.   

If you have to self-isolate due to COVID-19 and will lose earnings 

If you meet certain criteria, you could get financial help if you're told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace and will lose income.  

If you’re struggling with rent payments 

Contact us if you're struggling with rent payments and we'll provide help and support. 

If you receive Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit, you could get extra financial support through a discretionary housing payment

Help with Council Tax payments 

Contact us if you’re finding it hard to pay your Council Tax and we'll try to help. 

If you normally pay Council Tax, and are making a claim for Universal Credit due to:

  • sickness
  • unemployment; or
  • income loss

you'll be automatically enrolled for Council Tax Reduction.

When you claim Universal Credit online or by phone, make sure you say you want to claim help with paying Council Tax from Southwark Council.

Homeowners annual and major works service charge payments

Contact us if you're a homeowner of a council property and you're struggling with your leaseholder payment 

If you’re struggling to meet your household’s urgent basic needs 

If you’ve had a sudden loss or reduction in income, you can apply for support if you can’t meet your household’s urgent basic needs from the Southwark Emergency Support Scheme (SESS)

Financial support for businesses and self-employed residents 

Get information on financial support for businesses or if you’re self-employed

Other organisations that can provide advice on financial help 

Page last updated: 30 September 2021


Privacy settings