Financial support for people renting
Do you need any extra help?
You may be experiencing some difficulty paying your rent or have other rent related costs you're struggling to cover. This might be especially due to the current COVID-19 outbreak.
Southwark Council's Financial Inclusion Team would like to help you if possible. If you receive Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit, we may be able to help.
We have two ways of assisting you:
- Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP), which is used to help tenants cope with housing costs
- Extended Payment of Housing Benefit
Other ways we can help:
- we manage the Rent Arrears Fund, which provides a maximum payment of £500 to stop landlords evicting tenants because of rent arrears
- apply for the Rent Arrears Fund
- we provide advice and assistance to those affected by welfare reforms, such as the Social Sector Size criteria (otherwise known as bedroom tax), benefit cap, Local Housing Allowance reforms or Universal Credit)
- we help with budgeting and finding alternative solutions to housing needs (eg providing a deposit so that you can move into a more affordable property)
We advise and assist tenants at risk of losing their homes or worried about their current housing situation. We actively work with other agencies, including Jobcentre Plus who help tenants find employment or downsize through Smart Move or Mutual Exchange.
Page last updated: 26 May 2022