The Mayflower and Mayflower 400
Projects and partners
Southwark Council, British Land and United St Saviour’s Charity has started awarding grants to local organisations for commemorating the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower sailing.
So far, part of the £140,000 programme has gone to such diverse projects as Club Herop’s photojournalism initiative, Bermondsey Artist Group’s two year community multi-media programme, the Illuminate Rotherhithe festival, Art in the Park’s schools programme, an intergenerational theatre piece run by London Bubble and a number of local historical talks and events.
Details of upcoming events will be listed on the Southwark Presents what’s on diary once announced.
Southwark Council is working with businesses, cultural and community partners to ensure that a programme of events and activities building up to 2020 acts as a catalyst to:
- build local, national and international partnerships
- increase awareness and tourist facilities in Rotherhithe and Southwark
- promote Southwark’s own Mayflower stories and associated activity
- educate the young people of Southwark on the global impact and historical significance of the Mayflower
- encourage cultural activity that celebrates and remembers those that sailed with the Mayflower
- ensure this anniversary is as inclusive and accessible as possible for all
- guarantee the Mayflower's enduring legacy for future years.
Organisations and residents have been coming together to develop a programme that brings our community and friends together to commemorate Mayflower 400.
Partners to date include:
Albion Primary School / Bacon’s College / Better Bankside / British Land / Brunel Museum / CGP London / The Clink Museum / City of London / The Golden Hinde / London Bubble / London & Partners / Mayflower Primary School / The Mayflower pub / Morley College / Rotherhithe & Bermondsey Local History Society / Royal British Legion / Sands Films / Southwark Cathedral / Southwark Council / Southwark Heritage Association / Southwark Young Pilgrims / St. Mary’s Church / Team London Bridge / United St Saviour’s Charity / University of the Arts London / US Embassy / What’s on in Rotherhithe Group
Page last updated: 19 August 2019