Global IT issues affecting online forms and systems

We are currently impacted by the global IT issues. As a result, a number of systems are affected including the majority of our online forms. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Tree preservation orders and conservation areas

Apply to work on protected trees

If you'd like to carry out works on a protected tree, you must apply for permission by completing the application form for tree works. (PDF, 349kb)

We'll write to you to tell you our decision within eight weeks. If the tree is within a conservation area, you'll hear from us within six weeks.

You can appeal against our decision. We'll enclose information about how to do this when we send you our decision.

Emergency works on trees

If a protected tree is dead or hazardous then an application may not be required, but you must give the council five days notice of your intention to carry out the work.

If the tree is causing an immediate danger (eg it's about to fall and could cause damage or injury), you can carry out works without giving notice.

However, we strongly advise you to collect evidence as the council will require you to provide proof at a later date that the tree was either dead, dying or causing a danger. Proof should include either photograph, a tree surgeons report and/or independent witness statements.

Failure to do this may result in prosecution.

Page last updated: 18 July 2023


Privacy settings