Tree preservation orders and conservation areas

Conservation areas

You can find out if a tree or your home is within a conservation area by visiting our planning pages. You'll find a list of conservation areas and information about the process for carrying out any other types of works within a conservation area.

Checking if a tree is within a conservation area

You must check:

The specified size of the tree is different depending on whether the tree is:

  • stand alone - measure the diameter of the tree at 1.5 m above the ground; if the diameter is 7.5 cm or more
  • part of a group - measure the diameter of the tree at 1.5 m above the ground; if the diameter is 10 cm or more
You must give six weeks notice to the Planning Department of your intention to carry out works

Trees - The Dulwich Estate

Works to Trees within the Dulwich Estate Scheme of Management are subject to licence. If the tree is also located within a Conservation Area or subject to a TPO, prior approval is required from Southwark Council.

It's a criminal offence to undertake unauthorised works to protected trees.

Applications for works to trees are free of charge and can be submitted either digitally, via the Planning Portal or as a paper document.

Find a copy of the application form.

A copy of the Dulwich Estate Licence may be submitted in support of your application along with any other relevant material, including photos, a sketch plan identifying the tree’s location and a tree survey.

More information on the Scheme of Management

Page last updated: 11 January 2022

Privacy settings