What is flooding
Flooding occurs when land not normally covered by water becomes covered by water.
A road or house can be flooded or waterlogged when:
- heavy rainfall overwhelms the drainage network
- a drain is blocked (perhaps by mud or heavy fall of leaves)
- a road or house in a low lying area experiences heavy localised rainfall
- there are changes in 'run off' from adjacent fields
- there's increased 'run off' from adjacent hard standing areas
- a river overflows
- there's a ruptured water main
All roads have drainage features to remove water from road surfaces, but older roads may have less sophisticated drainage features.
Page last updated: 07 March 2017