Reporting flooding from a main river and watercourses

Flooding from a main river

The Environment Agency are responsible for main rivers. To report flooding, you must contact the agency's 24 hour floodline advice and information service at 0845 988 1188.

You can check whether your area is at risk of flooding from the sea, rivers or reservoir failure.

Flooding from watercourses

Watercourses, other than main rivers, are the responsibility of riparian owners.

You're a riparian owner if your property or land is on, or very near, a watercourse. Riparian owners have a duty to keep the watercourse clear of any obstruction. If necessary, we can serve legal notices on riparian owners.

Page last updated: 07 March 2017

Privacy settings