Air quality law and permits

Declaration of reduced operation of an environmental permit

Licence summary

The environmental permitting regime is known and referred to as Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (‘LAPPC’). Installations permitted under this regime are known as Part ‘B’ installations. If you already have a ‘Part B’ permit and if your installation is for a period of not less than 12 months

  • a) being mothballed or
  • b) temporarily operating (or is going to operate) at reduced capacity, below the threshold requiring a permit,

you should declare that this is the case and may be eligible for reduced annual subsistence charges. This is an alternative to surrendering your permit and having to make a new application if production increases or restarts.

Eligibility criteria

Eligibility for reduced charges is limited to a 24 month period from the date of the local authority’s letter of acceptance and is dependent on us being satisfied those paragraphs a) or b) above are satisfied.

Regulation summary

To view the legislation follow the link to The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016.

Application evaluation process

When responding to the declaration, we may either

  • write to you confirming reduced charges. In doing so we will explain what you have to do if circumstances change, and may also vary your permit to require you to provide information to us; or
  • ask you for more information, which shows the basis of your declaration
Please note that a declaration of reduced operation of an environmental permit will only be accepted when the necessary inspection by an officer from the local authority has been carried out to check whether there are any risk to the environment. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us

GDPR Data Privacy Notice

Southwark Council uses your personal data to process ‘Part B’ applications for a permit.  The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 requires us to do this and we do not need your permission. If you do not provide us with the requested information, we cannot process your application. Operation of a Part B regulatory process without a permit is unlawful, and may lead to prosecution.

Your information will only be used by or regulatory services environmental protection team. Your personal data will only be kept for as long as your permit is listed on the public register. However, formal cautions will be removed after 5 years, and details of convictions will be destroyed when the rehabilitation period for that sentence has ended. This is in accordance with section 5 of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (as amended).

If you are concerned about how the Southwark Council is using your data, please contact our Data Protection Officer by email or telephone 020 7525 5000.

More information about your rights is available on our website or via the Information Commissioner.

Apply online

You can apply online by following the link below:

Declaration of a reduced operation of your 'Part B' environmental permit


Under the environmental permitting regulations operators of industrial processes are charged a reduced subsistence fee for their permit.

Payment to be made online on completion of the application form.

To download a copy of the fees and charges (PDF, 78kb) follow the link.

Failed applications redress and complaints

If declaration for the reduced operation of an environmental permit has been refused you may appeal to the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

In the event of a complaint please contact us - preferably in the form of a written submission (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Compensation maybe payable in relation to conditions affecting certain interests in land.

Further information


A record is kept of all declarations for the reduced operation of environmental permits within Southwark. The information is public and anyone can view the public registers by appointment. Please contact us to arrange this.

Trade associations

Page last updated: 02 August 2022


Privacy settings