Global IT issues affecting online systems

We are currently impacted by the global IT issues. As a result, a number of our online systems are affected. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Air quality law and permits

Application to wholly or part transfer an environmental permit

Licence summary

The environmental permitting regime is known as and referred to as Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (‘LAPPC’). Installations permitted under this regime are known as 'Part B’ installations. If you already have a ‘Part B’ permit and wish to transfer the permit in whole or in part to another person (‘the proposed transferee’), you can apply to do so. Under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 ('the EP Regulations'), both the operator and the proposed transferee must jointly apply to have the permit transferred.

Eligibility criteria

Full guidance is available on the website of the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

Regulation summary

To view the legislation follow the link to The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 and refer to regulation 21.

The details of the process changes are reviewed to ensure that all the necessary information has been included in the transfer application.

Application evaluation process

The local authority officer will acknowledge the application and either seek further information from the applicant, or confirm that the application has been ‘duly made’

The transferred environmental permit should ideally be granted in eight weeks from the date of the application being ‘duly made’.

Please note that a transfer of an environmental permit will only be granted when the necessary inspection by an officer from the local authority has been carried out to ensure the installation is operating in accordance with the relevant process guidance note. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us

GDPR Data Privacy Notice

Southwark Council uses your personal data to process ‘Part B’ applications for a permit. The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 requires us to do this and we do not need your permission. If you do not provide us with the requested information, we cannot process your application. Operation of a Part B regulatory process without a permit is unlawful, and may lead to prosecution.

Your information will only be used by or regulatory services environmental protection team. Your personal data will only be kept for as long as your permit is listed on the public register. However, formal cautions will be removed after 5 years, and details of convictions will be destroyed when the rehabilitation period for that sentence has ended. This is in accordance with section 5 of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (as amended).

If you are concerned about how the Southwark Council is using your data, please contact our Data Protection Officer by email or telephone 020 7525 5000.

More information about your rights is available on our website or via the Information Commissioner.

Apply online

Tell us about the transfer of your environmental permit.

If you are mobile plant operator follow the link to apply for a transfer a permit for a limited period.

For the transfer of environmental permits the application form in the declaration section the current operator and proposed operator sign, even if an agent is acting on their behalf.


Under the environmental permitting regulations operators of industrial processes are charged a transfer fee for their permit.

Electronic payment is made available on completion of the online form.

To download a copy of the fees and charges (PDF, 78kb) follow the link.

Failed applications redress and complaints

If an application to transfer, an environmental permit has been refused or if the applicants objects to conditions imposed on the environmental permit they may appeal to the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

In the event of a complaint please contact us - preferably in the form of a written submission (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Compensation maybe payable in relation to conditions affecting certain interests in land.

Further information


A record is kept of all transfers of a Part B environmental permits issued within Southwark. The information is public and anyone can view the public registers by appointment. Please contact us to arrange this.

Trade associations

Page last updated: 02 August 2022


Privacy settings