Student discounts and exemptions
If you’re a student or there’s a student living in your home, you may be entitled to a Council Tax discount or exemption.
There are 3 types of students:
- full time university or college students studying on a course for at least 21 hours a week for 24 weeks in the year for at least one academic or calendar year
- students under 20 years of age studying on a course for at least 12 hours a week for at least 3 months, that is not higher education
- foreign language assistants appointed at a school or college in Great Britain who are registered with the British Council
Council Tax discount
If there’s one person in your home who's not a student and all other people are, you may receive a 25% discount.
Council Tax exemption
You may receive an exemption if:
- your home is only occupied by students
- your home is only occupied by students and school or college leavers
- your home is only occupied by students and people who are severely mentally impaired
- you’re a student and you’ve left your home empty during term time to study elsewhere
If your circumstances change
For us to work out if you have to pay Council Tax, you must tell us:
- when you start your course as a student
- when you move in and out of an address
If circumstances change within your household, you must tell us within 21 days as it may affect your entitlement to any discount or exemption. If you don’t let us know, we may charge a penalty fee.
Proof needed to apply for a discount or exemption
Full time students
You’ll need to provide a copy of your student certificate confirming your name, start and end date of your course and that the course is full time.
Students under 20 years old
You’ll need to provide a copy of your student certificate, learning agreement or letter from your school or college to confirm the start and end date of your course and the hours you are studying.
Foreign language assistants
You’ll need to provide a copy of your passport and a letter from your school or college confirming your name and start and end date of your appointment.
Discount and exemption reviews
We are reviewing all households that receive a discount on their Council Tax bill. If you've received a letter about your discount, please complete the review form as requested in the letter.
Page last updated: 16 January 2018