Student discounts and exemptions

If you’re a student or there’s a student living in your home, you may be entitled to a Council Tax discount or exemption.

There are three types of students:

  • Full time university or college students studying on a course for at least 21 hours a week for 24 weeks in the year for at least one academic or calendar year
  • Students under 20 years of age studying on a course for at least 12 hours a week for at least 3 months, that is not higher education
  • Foreign language assistants appointed at a school or college in Great Britain who are registered with the British Council

Council Tax discount

If there’s one person in your home who's not a student and all other people are, you may receive a 25% discount.

Council Tax exemption

You may receive an exemption if:

  • your home is only occupied by students
  • your home is only occupied by students and school or college leavers
  • your home is only occupied by students and people who are severely mentally impaired
  • you’re a student and you’ve left your home empty during term time to study elsewhere

Apply for a Council Tax student discount or exemption

If anything changes

For us to work out if you have to pay Council Tax, you must tell us:

  • when you start your course as a student
  • when you move in and out of an address

If anything changes within your household, you must tell us within 21 days as it may affect your entitlement to any discount or exemption. If you don’t let us know, we may charge a penalty fee.

Report a change

Discount and exemption reviews

We're reviewing all households that receive a discount on their Council Tax bill. If you've received a letter about your discount, please complete the review form as requested in the letter.

Page last updated: 02 August 2022

Privacy settings