Southwark 2030: working together for a brighter future

Complete a survey: tell us what you want Southwark to be like in 2030

Southwark 2030

Occupied property exemptions

Council Tax exemptions are available in some cases depending on the type of property or who lives in it.

If your property is exempt, you don't have to pay Council Tax while it meets the conditions, unless the exemption is time limited.

When you've applied for an exemption, you must carry on paying Council Tax in line with your current bill while we deal with your claim.

Exempt occupied properties

Exemption type

Proof required to apply

Your property is a college or university halls of residence

Confirmation from the college or university confirming use of the property

Your property is occupied only by students

Proof of student status

Your property is an armed forces accommodation


Your property is occupied by members of visiting forces

A certificate issued under Section 11 of the Visiting Forces Act 1952 or written confirmation from the relevant defence organisation

Your property is occupied only by those under 18

Copy of birth certificates for all residents

Your property is occupied only by diplomats

Written confirmation of your diplomatic status from your embassy, stating what class of diplomat you are

Your annexe is occupied by a close relative over 65 who is severely mentally impaired or substantially and permanently disabled

Birth certificate or confirmation from GP of severe mental impairment (and evidence of benefit) or permanent disability

Your property is occupied only by severely mentally impaired people

The property is not exempt if you’re the landlord of a house in multiple occupation. You are responsible for Council Tax, not your tenants.

There will be a 50% discount because of the severely mentally impaired people, so your Council Tax bill will be for the remaining 50%.

Confirmation from GP and proof of qualifying benefit:

  • Incapacity Benefit

  • Employment and Support Allowance

  • Attendance Allowance

  • Severe Disablement Allowance

  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component

  • the highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance

  • an increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance

  • the disability element of Working Tax Credit

  • Unemployability Supplement (abolished in 1987 but existing claimants remain entitled)

  • Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

  • Unemployabilty Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes

  • Income Support which includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work

If you qualify for one of these benefits but don’t receive it you’ll need to provide a confirmation letter from the Department for Work and Pensions

If you get an exemption

We’ll issue a new bill with new payment instructions. This will take account of any payments you've already made.

If you disagree with our decision

If we refuse your claim for an exemption and you disagree with our reasons, you can challenge our decision.

Let us know if anything changes

You must tell us about any changes as they may affect your entitlement to any exemption.  If you don’t let us know within 21 days of the change, we may charge a penalty fee.

Exemption reviews

We're reviewing all households that receive an exemption on their Council Tax bill. If you've received a letter about your exemption, please complete the exemption review form as requested in the letter.

Page last updated: 04 November 2021

Privacy settings