Mayor of London and London Assembly Election 2021
Elections for the Mayor of London and Greater London Assembly were postponed in 2020 due to COVID-19 and are now due to take place on Thursday 6 May 2021.
Voting and COVID-19
The elections will take place at a time when COVID-19 continues to present risks to public health. We are putting arrangements in place to help ensure you can stay safe when casting your vote.
You can expect many of the measures you’ve become used to in recent months, such as social distancing, face masks, hand sanitiser, floor markings and limited numbers in the polling station. This may result in queues, so please try to avoid busy times when you go to vote.
Frequently Asked Questions about voting and COVID-19 (pdf, 130kb).
Voters in Southwark will be given three different coloured ballot papers:
- The Mayor of London (PINK Ballot Paper)
- The Assembly Members that represent the whole of London (yellow ballot paper)
- The Assembly Member to represent the Lambeth and Southwark Constituency (orange ballot paper).
Voters will be asked not to fold the ballot papers when they put them in the ballot box. This is to assist with the scanning of votes for the electronic count.
The full list of candidates for all three contests will be available on the London Elects London Elects website from Thursday 1 April 2021.
For more information about the Mayor of London and Greater London Assembly elections, please visit London Elects London Elects website.
Who can vote
All British, Commonwealth and European Citizens who are currently registered to vote or who register by Monday 19 April 2021 can vote in these elections.
- deadline to apply to register to vote: midnight on Monday 19 April 2021
Find out how to register to vote, it only takes a few minutes to apply online.
If you're unable to apply online, you can complete a paper form. Please telephone us on 020 7525 7373 and we can post an application form to you.
- deadline to apply for a postal vote: 5pm on Tuesday 20 April 2021
Find out how to apply to vote by post apply to vote by proxy
- deadline to apply for a proxy vote: 5pm on Tuesday 27 April 2021
Find out how to apply to vote by proxy apply to vote by proxy
- deadline to apply for an emergency proxy vote (only for medical emergencies or work reasons): 5pm on Thursday 6 May 2021
Find out how to apply to vote by emergency proxy apply for an emergency proxy
Interested working on these elections
We are always looking for people to work in our polling stations as Presiding Officers and Poll Clerks. View our apply to work at elections page, if you are interested in working with us.
Page last updated: 29 January 2021