European Parliamentary elections

Frequently asked questions

I have dual citizenship - British and from another EU country. Do I need to complete a UC1 form?

No, if you have whole or shared British citizenship you do not need to complete a UC1 form. You will vote as a British citizen in the EU Parliamentary election.

Do I need to have had my settled status confirmed in order to take part in these elections?

No, while the UK remains in the EU, previous election processes remain in place, and all EU citizens are eligible to register to vote.

If I register to vote after you send the UC1 forms out, can I still take part?

We will send out UC1 forms to EU citizens who register as we approach the 7 May deadline, but we advise EU citizens to register as soon as possible to avoid any delay that could result in missing the deadline. The deadline of 7 May is a statutory deadline which means we cannot process any forms received after that date.

If I am an EU citizen, can I apply for a postal or proxy vote?

You must be registered and complete the UC1 form. This enables you to vote in the UK for the EU Parliamentary election. If you do not send the UC1 form by 7 May, you will not be able to vote. You can then apply to vote by post or via a proxy.

You can submit the postal vote or proxy application form at the same time as your UC1 form.

What happens if the UK leaves the EU before the election?

The election will not take place and no-one will be able to vote in the EU elections in the UK.

Page last updated: 04 June 2019