Code of corporate governance
Governance is about how the council ensures that it is doing the right thing, in the right way, for the right people, in a timely, inclusive, open, honest and accountable manner. It includes the systems and processes, and culture and values, by which the council is directed and controlled and through which it accounts to, engages with and leads the community.
Good governance ensures that the council fulfils its overall purpose, achieves its intended outcomes for citizens and service users, and operates in an effective and ethical manner.
Good governance leads to good management, good performance, good stewardship of public money, good public engagement and, ultimately good outcomes for citizens and service users.
The council's code of corporate governance (pdf, 55kb) explains how the council operates to ensure that it meets its objectives and how it acts in a way consistent with the recognised core principles of good governance, namely:
- behaving with integrity, demonstrating strong commitment to ethical values, and respecting the rule of law
- ensuring openness and comprehensive stakeholder engagement
- defining outcomes in terms of sustainable economic, social and environmental benefits
- determining the interventions necessary to optimise the achievement of the intended outcomes
- developing the entity’s capacity, including the capability of its leadership and the individuals within it
- managing risks and performance through robust internal control and strong public financial management
- implementing good practices in transparency, reporting, and audit to deliver effective accountability
Page last updated: 04 December 2018