Improvements to our website

We have made changes to our website to improve the way it looks and to give residents a better experience. You can find out more about this update here. 

Frequently Asked Questions

I am a European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EAA) or Swiss Citizen. How am I affected by Brexit?

Provided you started living in the UK by 31 December 2020, and you applied to the EU Settlement Scheme before 30 June 2021, your rights and status will remain the same. 

In some cases, you can still apply to the EU Settlement Scheme after 30 June 2021. Please check the government’s website for guidance if this applies to you.

Southwark can help you with your application. You can find out more on our apply to the EU Settlement Scheme page.

If you are travelling to and from the UK, you will need a valid passport to enter if you do not have either pre-settled or settled status. EU citizens in the Settlement Scheme or equivalent will still be able to enter the UK with an EU identity card until at least 2025. As of 1 October 2021 the UK government stopped accepting national identity cards as travel documents for most EU citizens.

I have pre-settled status. What should I do?

You must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme again before your pre-settled status expires to stay in the UK, which will be five years from the date you got pre-settled status.

Find out more and apply to switch to settled status.

I am from Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein. How am I affected?

The latest information and guidance for citizens of EEA EFTA states (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) can be found at the GOV.UK website.

How am I affected if I am an Irish citizen?

The Government has indicated that Irish citizens living in the UK will not need to apply for settled status to stay.

How much will it cost to apply for settled status?

It is free to apply to the scheme.

If you have already applied and you paid a fee, you will automatically be issued a refund.

I already have permanent residence. Do I automatically get settled status?

No. You will need to apply for either settled status or British Citizenship. You can find out more at the GOV.UK website.  

I have indefinite leave to enter or remain. Do I need to do anything?

You can continue to live in the UK without applying to the EU Settlement Scheme. However, you can apply for 'indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme' - also known as settled status.

You can find out more at the GOV.UK website.

Can I apply for British Citizenship?

There are different ways to apply for British Citizenship, depending on your circumstances.

You can find out more about applying for British Citizenship at the GOV.UK website.

What about UK nationals in the rest of the EU?

Information for UK nationals living in EU, EEA EFTA, Switzerland and Ireland, including guidance on residency and the Withdrawal Agreement can be found at the GOV.UK website. 


These frequently asked questions (FAQs) are general statements to help you to understand the Brexit situation in a plain and simple way. They should not be considered as legal advice or opinions and do not cover individual situations. These FAQs are based on information available from the Government and are subject to change.

Page last updated: 12 October 2021


Privacy settings