Older adults, those with long-term health conditions and households on low incomes are particularly vulnerable to the health impacts of winter weather.
This year, these impacts are likely to be exacerbated by the cost of living crisis, with high energy and other living costs meaning that more people than usual will be vulnerable to the health impacts of cold.
The below page is designed to highlight resources useful for people who live with, work with or care for older adults, those with long-term health conditions and people with low incomes.
This page will be updated as more support becomes available but is not exhaustive. If you have suggestions for other resources to include, email PublicHealth@southwark.gov.uk.
Winter wellness information
Age UK has produced a winter wrapped up information guide with information on keeping warm, health issues to look out for in winter, and where to get help.
Cost of living support information
The Southwark Cost of Living booklet contains information on support and advice available to Southwark residents.
NHS stay well this winter leaflet
The NHS produced a national stay well this winter leaflet for 2022. It is also available in braille, easy read, large print and BSL formats.
Worrying about money leaflet
Citizens Advice Southwark and its partners have produced a worrying about money leaflet. It is also available in Spanish.
Services/support for older adults and vulnerable residents
Emergency support with food, prescriptions and money
- The Southwark Community Support Alliance can help vulnerable residents with food, mental and physical wellbeing, financial support and translated information.
- emergency grants from Southwark Council and local charities are available for those experiencing financial hardship
Health and wellbeing support this winter
- Ageing Well Southwark (a partnership between local voluntary sector organisations and the council) accept referrals for over 60s
- they can signpost service users to a holistic range of advice and support
- they operate a helpline to discuss the support available: 0207 525 3324
- encourage those you work with to visit Southwark Warm Spaces this winter for free activities, hot drinks and snacks in a cosy environment
- support those you work with to get vaccinated against flu and COVID-19; find further information on vaccinations
Keeping your home warm and safe
- Southwark Energy Savers (delivered by Citizen’s Advice Southwark) provides advice on energy saving and if you're eligible they can refer you to other local or regional forms of support to help reduce your energy bills or improve the energy efficiency of your home; the service is open to everyone living/working in Southwark
Financial advice and support
- you can refer to Citizens Advice Southwark for advice on what benefits people you work with are entitled to, and other generalist advice
Support for those experiencing food insecurity
- view a full list of support available in Southwark to those experiencing food insecurity, including food banks, community pantries selling low-cost food, and the Southwark school holiday food and fun programme
Page last updated: 29 November 2023