Family Group Conferencing Service
The Family Group Conferencing Service (FGC) empowers families to come together to make a plan to resolve challenges and difficulties they’re facing.
See the Southwark FGC pamphlet: Information for families, relatives and friends (pdf, 1.4mb) for more information.
What is a family group conference?
A FGC is a meeting for a child(ren) or young person, their family, friends and people who are important to them. It’s a safe place where everyone can talk though concerns that have been raised and then come up with a plan to make things better.
FGCs originate from New Zealand and are based on the idea of ‘hui’ - the Maori meaning for a meeting where a collective approach is taken to resolving issues. ‘Hui’ is the traditional form of decision-making in Maori tribal culture. At its heart is the idea that a child is not just raised by their parent/s but by their entire tribe.
More background information on FGCs can be found on the Family Rights Group website.
When can a FGC be useful?
We believe that families know themselves best. A FGC can be help in almost any situation where a plan or a decision needs to be made for children or a young person, to resolve concerns and/or improve safety.
Some examples are:
- making plans together for children with special education needs and disabilities
- to support families to have a voice and make plans when family support and children’s safeguarding service is involved
- address challenges caused by separation or divorce
- helping relatives to care for children and young people
- reducing antisocial behaviour from young people
- support a parent with a mental or physical disability
- consolidate support available for child(ren), young people and their parents from within their own networks
- supporting young carers and their families
Unfortunately you can not self-refer to this service. Please speak to your child’s allocated social worker or other professional you're working with.
Write to us at:
Family Group Conference Service
Southwark Children’s Services
PO Box 64529
Tel: 0207 525 5000
The service offers Family Group Conferences (FGC) to children and families. Meetings are organised by an Independent FGC co-ordinator who is matched to meet the needs of the family. The meetings offer families opportunities to make plans for their children.
- open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Page last updated: 12 November 2019