The adoption process
Once you have made the decision to adopt a child let us know by email email@example.com or come along to one of our regular information sessions and will be guided through the two stage adoption process.
What happens next
During this journey you will be equipped with information and skills to be the best possible parents for children in need of a home. After an initial home visits and receiving your Registration of Interest stage one will commence.
Steps in stage one (usually 2 months in duration)
- named worker assigned to you to help you with your learning and self-evaluation
- prospective adopter(s) provide information, including three references for checking
- prospective adopters attend workshops and complete reading tasks
- pre-assessment decision given
Steps in stage two (usually 4 months in duration)
- adoption suitability assessed
- further training, assessments and visits
- recommendation for approval
- report completed and attendance at panel to consider the recommendation
Page last updated: 25 February 2019