Trading Standards priorities
Southwark's Trading Standards service is responsible for protecting consumers and businesses by ensuring a fair and safe trading environment.
We form part of the council's Regulatory Services, which encompasses a wide range of public and environmental protection functions, all working towards the council’s Fairer Future Values and Commitments.
Our priorities focus on the themes within those commitments. These include the COVID-19 response, a green and inclusive economy, tackling health inequalities, homes for all and a great start in life.
We want to support a vibrant prosperous Southwark where legitimate enterprise can thrive and consumers can have confidence in the goods and services they buy.
Our priorities are:
- doorstep crime, scams and unfair trading - protecting vulnerable consumers from the fraudulent and financially abusive activities of rogue traders
- illegal economy - combatting the trade-in of unsafe, illicit and counterfeit products
- age restricted products - protecting the health and wellbeing of young people by ensuring underage children are not sold age-restricted goods and services
- rented housing - working with regulatory partners to combat rogue landlords and letting agents
Other areas of work include:
- providing compliance advice to businesses in the borough
- enforcement of weights and measures law and animal feed standards legislation
- ensuring business restrictions are complied with during COVID-19 emergency periods
- undertaking financial investigations and pursuing confiscation orders under the Proceeds of Crime Act
Page last updated: 18 January 2022