Business and compliance advice
We can advise you on any of the areas we regulate. You can find a range of Business and compliance advice on the trading standards requirements to help your business get off to a great start.
We can help and advise you on any of the areas we regulate. When you contact us you'll need to provide:
- the address where your business is based
- your contact number and email address
- your preferred method of contact
If your business operates across local or regional boundaries you may wish to consider entering into a primary authority relationship with us.
You can find a list of guides to download to help your business understand and comply with our trading standards requirements.
Where you need advice that's tailored to your particular needs and circumstances we'll:
- explain what's required to achieve compliance
- provide reliable advice that supports compliance
- provide clear advice that can be easily understood and implemented
- explain the differences between legal requirements and suggested good practice
- ensure that any verbal advice you receive is confirmed in writing if requested
- acknowledge good practice and compliance
Other sources of advice
National sources of regulatory information include:
- GOV.UK - free business advice and support on many subjects
- BEIS - the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) - regulates the financial services and consumer credit industry, and authorises firms to undertake credit-related activity and enforce consumer credit law
- Competition and Markets Authority - a new authority that brings together the competition commission with certain functions of the now abolished Office of Fair Trading; range of new responsibilities and powers to ensure markets work well for consumers, businesses and the economy
- Southwark Business section - for general business start-up and support advice and links to local business groups
Page last updated: 18 June 2018