Builders' Award Scheme
The Southwark scheme has now been discontinued. A number of alternative schemes have become prevalent in the market place since its launch in 2003 and we did not receive the feedback required to make the scheme sustainable.
Further information on alternative schemes can be found below but we do not recommend any particular one and we cannot guarantee or accept responsibility for work undertaken by any trader, or for agreements that a customer makes with any trader.
Choosing a trader
We do advise exercising caution when getting any home maintenance works done and you should never deal with uninvited doorstep traders or pay large sums up front.
Citizens Advice has published guidance that should help you save time, money and stress and ensure you choose a reputable and reliable trader. By following a few basic ground rules you can prevent yourself from becoming a victim. Read the Citizens Advice guidance.
Examples of other schemes
You can also refer to our pages on rogue traders and doorstep crime for more advice.
- Buy with confidence scheme
- Gas Safe Register (anyone carrying out gas installation work must be on this register)
- Handyperson - if you're aged over 60 or have a disability
- London Borough of Bromley scheme
- NICEIC (electrical contractor register)
- Royal Greenwich and London Borough of Bexley What Trader? scheme
- Trustmark Scheme
- Which? Trusted Traders
Page last updated: 03 January 2020