Crane licence

In order to place a crane on the public highway a Section 178 licence must be granted before works take place. A Section 178 licence is also required before placing a MEWP, scissor lift, cherry picker or concrete pump (or similar) on the highway.

Applying for a licence

Applications must be made at least 15 working days in advance of the start date required. A meeting may be required to discuss the operation's impact upon the use of the highway, we recommend you give us as much advance notice as possible.

You can apply for a crane licence by downloading an application form (pdf, 114kb)

We advise you to read the guidance notes (pdf, 53kb) before applying.

Before starting the application, ake sure you have the following documents available:

  • a copy of your public liability insurance
  • company bank details and VAT number on letter headed paper (this is needed to set your company up on our systems and to pay back any deposits on your account)
  • all relevant site plans or diagrams
  • details of any road closures required to carry out the works (Temporary Traffic Orders require 12 weeks to process to enable a road closure)
  • details of any parking suspensions that are required to carry out the works


All payments must be made by the applicant. The costs to apply for a licence are:

  • £270 for the first day of operation
  • £128 for each additional day
  • £500 deposit for each crane operation (deposits will only be returned to the applicant)


Containers placed on the highway are potentially hazardous obstructions, so the licence includes a number of conditions.

We'll inspect your site on a regular basis. Your licensed activity must meet our terms and conditions. The terms and conditions must be agreed during your application.

If you have any queries or concerns or require further information, contact us.

Page last updated: 04 April 2019