Improvements to our website

We have made changes to our website to improve the way it looks and to give residents a better experience. You can find out more about this update here. 

Crane licence

In order to place a crane on the public highway a Section 178 licence must be granted before works take place. A Section 178 licence is also required before placing a MEWP, scissor lift, cherry picker or concrete pump (or similar) on the highway.

Applying for a licence

Applications must be made at least 15 working days in advance of the start date required. A meeting may be required to discuss the operation's impact upon the use of the highway, we recommend you give us as much advance notice as possible.

You can apply for a crane licence by downloading an application form (PDF, 352kb)

Before starting the application, make sure you have the following documents available:

  • a copy of your company public liability insurance
  • company bank details, VAT number and company number on letter headed paper. This is needed to set your company up on our systems and to pay back any deposits on your account
  • all relevant site plans or diagrams including traffic order pedestrian management plans
  • confirmation of road closure applications/ parking bay suspensions/planning permissions applied for (if applicable). Apply for parking suspensions online 


All payments must be made by the applicant. The costs to apply for a licence are:

  • £313 for the first day of operation
  • £149 for each additional day
  • £500 deposit for each crane operation (deposits will only be returned to the applicant)


We'll inspect your site on a regular basis. Your licensed activity must meet our terms and conditions. The terms and conditions must be agreed during your application.

If you have any queries or concerns or require further information, email

Page last updated: 17 April 2023


Privacy settings