Container licence

You'll need a licence if you need to place a container for construction works on the public highway. Whenever possible, store containers on your own private land to avoid having to apply for a licence.

We may turn down applications if the proposed site is not suitable.

Applying for a licence

You can apply for a container licence by downloading an application form (pdf, 106kb).

You must apply for the licence at least 15 working days before works are due to start. 

We advise you to read the guidance notes (pdf, 179kb) before applying.

Before starting the application, make sure you have the following documents available:

  • a copy of your public liability insurance
  • company bank details and VAT number on letter headed paper (necessary to set your company up on our systems and to pay back any deposits on your account)
  • all relevant site plans or diagrams

You can read details of any Suspension of parking bays that are required to carry out the works.

Licences are valid for four weeks. To extend, you'll need to re-apply before the current licence expiry date.


The costs to apply for a licence are:

  • £295 per month


Containers placed on the highway are potentially hazardous obstructions, so the licence includes a number of conditions.

We'll inspect your site on a regular basis. Your licensed activity must meet our terms and conditions. The terms and conditions must be agreed during your application.

If you have any queries or concerns or require further information, contact us.

Page last updated: 04 April 2019