Join the Community Toilet Scheme
The Community Toilet Scheme is for the businesses who are happy to let members of the public to use their toilets facilities without the expectation of buying anything during their trade hours.
Benefits of joining the scheme
- free advertising on the street, on your premises and on the council website. Printed materials will be distributed within the borough at public buildings, tourist information centres, parks, leisure centres, libraries and etc. It will be available to residents, commuter and tourists
- free window signs encouraging potential customers to enter your premises
- potential increase in trade from potential customers entering your premises
- creates a bolstered public image of your business as you’ll be supporting the local community
When you join the scheme, you will be given one of the stickers to display in your window, depending on the facilities.
Details of the Community Toilet Scheme
Length of the scheme
- we want businesses to sign up for one year, but you can withdraw after six months. We will do regular reviews to collect feedback from you and address the issues you may have
- we might remove you from the scheme if you do not follow certain standards
Use of the toilets
- your toilets should be made available to all members of the public without discrimation
- you are entitled to expect the same standards of behaviour as you would from customers in your premises
- you retain the right to refuse permission to any people who would normally be refused entry to your premises
You will be expected to have public liability insurance. We strongly recommend that you speak with your insurers and check you have the right insurance cover when you join this scheme. Please note businesses that trade in the borough and admit the public to their premises are already required to have public liability insurance.
Staying in the scheme
An agreement will be drawn up and completed by you and Southwark Council. Signs will be organised and an official start date established.
You will need to follow a set of standards (as part of an agreement) to stay in the scheme, it includes:
- displaying the scheme signs on your window
- keeping the toilets clean and available for the public
- telling us if there are any changes to the facilities or opening times
Want to join the scheme but have a minor issue that prevents signing up
Please chat to us about how we might be able to help you sign up.
How to join the scheme
If you would like to join this scheme, please fill in our online form:
After you‘ve applied for the scheme, we will contact you in regard to below:
- types and standards of toilets available, including disabled access provision
- location within the borough
- location of your toilet facilities
- opening hours
If you have any enquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Page last updated: 22 July 2020