Burials and cremations
We aim to ensure that people who have died in Southwark can be buried or cremated within the borough. We also provide information about how to organise a burial or cremation and all the costs involved.
There are three cemeteries within Southwark. Most burials take place at Camberwell New Cemetery, although it's still possible to arrange burials in Camberwell Old Cemetery and Nunhead Cemetery. Your Funeral Director will usually make the arrangements according to your wishes. However, you can still contact our offices directly if you have any questions.
We manage our cemeteries, all new burial areas, and some older areas of our cemeteries as meadowland to encourage biodiversity and support habitats for fauna and flora on our cemeteries.
Your funeral director will be able to supply information about environmentally friendly coffins. Please contact the Bereavement Service for information about the types of trees that can be planted as memorials.
The Honor Oak Crematorium is situated in Brockley Way, Brockley, London SE4 2LW. The Chapel seats up to 70 people. The building was built in 1939 and is surrounded by memorial gardens.
Charges for burials and cremations
There's a charge for burials and cremations. We try to keep these as low as possible. The charges may be part of your Funeral Directors bill - so do check this beforehand. We publish a complete list of charges for burials, cremations and memorabilia as part of our information pack. Please contact the Bereavement Services Office using the details at the bottom of this page
Ordering a memorial
There are many types of memorial to choose from. Our Bereavement Service can help you order rose tree memorials, stone tablets and other types of memorials.
Our service standards
We're committed to providing an excellent service by:
- arranging for a burial or cremation within a week of you asking us to
- helping you make your own funeral arrangements
- helping you select your own music for the crematorium
- dealing with a request or a report within 5 working days
- keeping cemetery and crematorium paths and roads in good condition
- ensuring all grassed areas are tidy and well-kept
- opening the cemeteries, crematoriums and garden of remembrance 365 days a year
- providing you with umbrellas and watering cans if requested
- helping elderly or disabled people visit graves
- holding a memorial service every year on the last Sunday of June
- being polite, helpful, understanding and sympathetic at all times
- replying to your letters within 10 working days
Page last updated: 16 February 2023