Getting married in the UK

If you're planning to get married in the UK and are subject to UK immigration control, be aware that new rules came into effect on 1 February 2005.

You're not subject to immigration control if:

  • you're a British citizen
  • you're a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • you have a certificate of entitlement in your passport, giving you right to abode in the UK

If you're coming to the UK from overseas to get married, you must have either a fiancé/e or marriage visitor visa in your passport in order to give notice to marry to a registrar.

If you're already in the UK, contact the register office for further information.

Whether you're overseas or already in the UK, you'll need to give notice to marry to a registrar at a designated register office.

For further information, contact the Immigration and Nationality Directorate on 0870 606 7766 (about call charges).

Page last updated: 04 August 2017