Burials and cremations
We aim to ensure that people who have died in Southwark can be buried or cremated within the borough. We also provide information about how to organise a burial or cremation and all the costs involved.
There are three cemeteries within Southwark. Most burials take place at Camberwell New Cemetery although it's still possible to arrange burials in Camberwell Old Cemetery and Nunhead Cemetery. Usually your Funeral Director will make the arrangements according to your wishes. However you can still contact our offices directly if you have any questions.
Camberwell Old Cemetery has a woodland burial area on an open leafy area at the top end of the cemetery. Trees can be planted as a memorial and bulbs can be planted around the tree's roots. Please note that no other types of memorial can be used in this area. After the burial, the grave will be left as a small mound. After some months have passed, the mound is levelled.
Your funeral director will be able to supply information about environmentally friendly coffins. Please contact the Bereavement Service for information about the types of trees that can be planted as memorials.
The Honor Oak Crematorium is situated in Brockley Way, Brockley, London SE4 2LW. The Chapel seats up to 70 people. The building was built in 1939 and is surrounded by memorial gardens.
Although cremation is now more popular than burial within the UK, many people are not sure if it's the right choice.
Charges for burials and cremations
There's a charge for burials and cremations. We try to keep these as low as possible. The charges may be part of your Funeral Directors bill - so do check this beforehand. We publish a complete list of charges for burials, cremations and memorabilia as part of our information pack. Please contact the Bereavement Services Office using the details at the bottom of this page
There's an annual memorial service in remembrance of all those cremated or buried within Southwark held at Honor Oak Crematorium. This is held on the last Sunday in June every year. The service is open to anyone who wants to attend. You can contact for dates and times on 0207 525 7651 or email email@example.com.
Ordering a memorial
There are many types of memorial to choose from. Our Bereavement Service can help you order rose tree memorials, stone tablets and other types of memorials.
Our service standards
We're committed to providing an excellent service by:
- arranging for a burial or cremation within a week of you asking us to
- helping you make your own funeral arrangements
- helping you select your own music for the crematorium
- dealing with a request or a report within 5 working days
- keeping cemetery and crematorium paths and roads in good condition
- ensuring all grassed areas are tidy and well-kept
- opening the cemeteries, crematoriums and garden of remembrance 365 days a year
- providing you with umbrellas and watering cans if requested
- helping elderly or disabled people visit graves
- holding a memorial service every year on the last Sunday of June
- being polite, helpful, understanding and sympathetic at all times
- replying to your letters within 10 working days
Page last updated: 27 November 2017