Universal Credit

You may now have to claim Universal Credit (UC) instead of certain benefits if you’re on a low income or out of work. UC replaces these benefits:

  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support

Find out how UC works and how it applies to you on the government's website: www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk

The government have made a video explaining how to make a UC claim. Watch the video

UC will be paid monthly into your bank account, so you'll need to have a bank account, or similar such as a credit union account, to get your UC payments.

You may find it useful to open a separate account to receive and manage your UC payment.

The Money Advice Service provides helpful tips on paying your rent and having the right bank account. Use their money manager tool to receive free personal information and advice to help your money go further.

Page last updated: 11 June 2018