Can I get Housing Benefit

You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay all or part of your rent if you’re on a low income. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.

You might have to claim Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit, depending on where you live, your age and circumstances. The Housing Benefit claim form will tell you if you need to claim Universal Credit

If you’d like someone to act on your behalf or would like us to share information about your claim with an appointee, you’ll need to give us permission.

To be eligible to apply for Housing Benefit you must:

  • pay rent where you live
  • have a low income
  • have savings under £16,000, unless you get Guaranteed Pension Credit

You're not eligible if:

  • you don’t pay rent
  • you live with and pay rent to a close relative
  • you’re a single full time student with no disability or children
  • you and your partner are both full time students with no disabilities or children
  • you have savings over £16,000, unless you get Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • you’re an asylum seeker
  • you‘re a person from abroad who’s not allowed to claim benefits
  • you get Universal Credit

Make a claim for Housing Benefit

You can apply for Housing benefit as part of a claim for other benefits from the Department for Work and Pensions.

Find out what proof you'll need to apply for Housing Benefit.

If you're from the European Economic Area (EEA)

There are different rules if you're from an EEA country.

These rules will apply if:

  • you’re a person from the EEA living in the UK or a family member of an EEA jobseeker
  • you’re a British citizen returning to the UK after an absence of 2 years or more

Page last updated: 03 May 2018