Benefit overpayments

If you don't repay your overpayment

If you don't pay back your benefit overpayment, Southwark Income Enforcement Services have several ways to recover the money:

Direct Earnings Attachment

If you’re working, we can order your employer to take a regular amount from your wages.

Depending on how much you earn, we can take up to 20% of your wages.  

Order to enforce an award

This is an order from the court to pay the debt, similar to a County Court Judgement.

Charging Order and Order for Sale

If you own a property, we can apply for a Charging Order and Order for Sale. This can result in the forced sale of your home to repay the money that you owe to us.

Repay your Housing Benefit overpayment    

Page last updated: 24 September 2018

Privacy settings